Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Finale

Lee (The Boxer): I did not like being able to see the spit in Lee’s mouth. It looked like a white retainer. Gross. This version was okay, but I was a bit distracted. Simon had the perfect analogy about this rendition being a kiss on the cheek when we needed a kiss on the lips.

Crystal (Bobby McGee): Good energy, but the song is hard to relate to. She should have picked something more universal, because I don’t know this Bobby guy.

Round 1: Lee sang a big song kinda small and Crystal sang a small song kinda big. I’ll call it even.

Lee (Everybody Hurts): This is another big song… Lee got a little lazy in the middle, but picked it back up. The choir stole the final note right out from under him, but overall this was much better than the first song. Kara really found the right words when she called Lee “emotionally accessible.”

Crystal (Black Velvet): Great pick, Mr. Fuller. If Siobhan had sung (sang?) this song she might have stuck around another week or so. The thing that’s off about Crystal tonight is her wardrobe: her skirts are falling at the wrong place. Still, she killed it.

Round 2: Goes to Crystal.

Lee (Beautiful Day): Uh oh. Mumble mumble. Off key. Other parts were muffled where he was singing into his hand. He had all the elements (back up singers, orchestra, light show) but he choked. He shuffled around the stage like it was his first performance! Is the pressure just too much for him to handle?? Or maybe he realizes that Crystal needs this more than he does and is handing it to her like the sweet guy he is.

Crystal (Up to the Mountain): You can tell how badly she wants to win. It really came across in that song. VERY NICE.

Round 3: Well, Crystal again. I wonder if I liked her more in this round because I have no idea who originally sang this song so to me it sounds like she wrote it? Whereas Lee’s “single” felt cookie cutter.

If I didn’t heart Lee I would say that Crystal will win. But I know lots of girls out there REALLY heart Lee and my guess is girls make up the bulk of the idol voting population.

No comments:

Post a Comment