Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Top Seven: Songs of the New Millennium

Scotty (Swingin’): Okay, first: I thought they said this song was by Leann Rhymes. Did she really sing a song about swinging with a girl named Charlotte or did Scotty change the lyrics to be gender-appropriate? A quick google search revealed that her name is really LeAnn Rimes. However, the jury is out as to whether the original lyrics were about Charlie or Charlotte. What about Scotty, though? Ick. Gag me with a q-tip. This guy has got to go.

James (Uprising): Here’s the thing. I would never listen to James. What kind of occasion would I find to listen to this kind of music? Driving to work? No. On my “spreadsheet making” Pandora station? No. As part of Loopman Dan-sings-covers-at-the-coffee shop-night? No. That being said, I have to admit he’s got talent.

Haley (Rolling in the Deep): I am OBSESSED with this song. I have been listening to it non-stop for weeks and Haley is the PERFECT person to sing it. I especially love the John Legend version. If you haven’t heard it, you should YouTube it asap. If I knew how to make a link I would post it here. Anyway. When it came right down to it, Haley’s start was very slow. I was nervous for her thinking she was going to screw up because she had so much to live up to. Overall, it had some good moments towards the end but wasn’t fabulous. Nice try.

Jacob (Dance with my Father): Snooze.

Casey (When It’s Cold Outside): I think the problem with Casey is he has no star quality. The beginning of this song was really good, but I wanted his voice to be deeper and for him to SING more and growl less. When he got so close to Jennifer I was really uncomfortable because I imagined that his beard probably smelled and if he were that close to me my gag reflex would kick in. Beards are nasty, yo.

I just realized I’ve been really critical tonight about kids who are trying their hardest to do something I could never in a million years hope to accomplish.

Maybe they’ll do better next week.

Moving on.

Stefano (Closer): Whoa, look at that guy move. He can dance. BUT: did you notice that he didn’t sing the chorus at all????? I think it's because he couldn’t! The notes were too high and it was too fast. If you don’t believe me, please YouTube it. You know, if he had worn a fedora I might not have noticed because he looks so cute in a fedora.

Lauren (Born to Fly): Uh oh, this is starting off really rough. And I’m so sad, because I watched her Miley Cyrus song about a million times last week. This week she just shook her hips and stomped her feet and acted like that counted as a good performance. I’m still rooting for her though. Root, root!

Best of the night: Haley or Casey
Worst of the Night: Scotty
Going Home: Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment